Thursday, August 31, 2006

Hate is alive and well in America.......


Assalamu Alaikum all:
Just a sad note. I went to a 99 cent store hoping to save some money and find some bargains, instead I found hatred. I am a mature woman, a nurse, and a threat to no one.; Yesterday I went to this "family owned" 99 cent store hoping to live within my budget, and received a rude awakening. Mind you, I am a blue-eyed American caucasian that is usually a rarity in my local masjid, so I am a curiousity of sorts. I entered this store wearing the customary scarf, or hijab, and was shopping within the scented candles area, and the lady shopping next to me dropped a candle and made a breaking sound. Lo and behold, the woman who was the owner of the store, of asian ancestry apparently, accosted me and accused me of breaking things in her store. Never mind the guilty party was the american nearly-naked woman in the aisle behind me, she followed me around the store and continued to harrass me until I told her "you are accusing the wrong person of damage, you need to speak to the other lady." She then laid off the harrassment until I arrived at the check out and asked if the establishment accepted debit cards, and she again interupted me and stated " we accept only credit cards, you pay with cash or credit card. Her tone implied that my money was not good, so I left the $50 plus of merchandise I had intended to purchase, and left. As I went out the door I stated to her...Here in my country we practice freedom of religion and tolerance, what do you preach in yours?
This woman barely spoke English and treated me this way? Maybe she should go home!

No comments: